Popular on EntSun
- How can You Protect Yourself from Scam Moving Companies Prevailing in The Market? 107
- Americart 2019 Documentary Film about Art in America's Heartland now available on Amazon Prime Video
- Escape the Room Locations Reopen Nationwide For a Safe And Exciting Night Out
- JNESHIA Unveils New Single "KINGZ"
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- Overcoming Covid-19 Challenges: Alexander James Rodriguez Releases 'My Crew'
- How to Get Aeromexico Cheap Flights?
- Wheaton Family Law Attorney - Tania K. Harvey Launches New Website | Wheaton IL Family Lawyers
- Author and Radio Host Claudette Milner Releases " We Give You Praise" featuring Lindsey Bitler on June 26, 2020
- Twista's GMG Artist B-Hype Drops Video For It's My Life
Wallabies vs All Blacks Live Rugby
The Wallabies had been blitzed in the opening minutes. Tana Umaga scored in the second minute off an intercepted pass. The man-mountain Jonah Lomu speared down the sideline before flicking inside to Pita Alatini for the second, just moments after the restart. Fullback Christian Cullen made it three tries inside five minutes.
It could have been 28-0 soon after if not for George Gregan. The smallest player on the park was the last line of defence against the biggest man on the pitch, the late, great Lomu. A fourth try would have all-but-ended the match there and then.
Lomu busted three Wallabies tacklesd and roared down the wing at full flight. Gregan chased him down, reefed on his sleeve and pulled the big man to the turf.
The Wallabies had been handed a reprieve from the slaughter, though a penalty soon after made it 24-0 after eight minutes.
The Wallabies were at sixes and sevens. They had had just one percent possession in the first five minutes — fullback Chris Latham having caught the ball then gifting it to Umaga for the opening try.
More on EntSun News
- Ultrasound Probe Disinfection Market Forecast By 2020-2026
- Evolve IP Delivers World's Only Omnichannel Contact Center Integrated with Microsoft Teams and Virtual Workspaces
- Neuronavigation Systems Market Outlook By Size, Share, And Trends 2020
- StoweAway Productions Develops New Scripted Series "Slave Stealers"
- How to Make New Bookings on United Airlines?
Then came the fightback.
Finally the Wallabies got the ball, and by the tenth minute they'd scored. Stirling Mortlock got on the end of an inch-perfect pass from Stephen Larkham - try number one. Mortlock doubled up in the 19th minute, before Latham made the pressure pay - and made up for his earlier gaffe - by punching through the line to make it three.
When Mortlock's fellow Wallabies winger Joe Roff found the white line, it was four, and 24-all by halftime.
It had been one of the most scinitallting, unbelievable halves in rugby history. The 1999 Rugby World Cup champions had been blasted out of the water in the first five minutes, made to look like schoolboys playing touch football on defence.
The All Blacks had been dumped out by France in the semi-finals in 1999 in the monstrously high-scoring 43-31, having led 24-10. They'd lost the Bledisloe that year too, 3-0.
They were fired up, out to make a statement. They weren't about to allow Australia to repeat their 28-7 victory in front of a whopping 107,000-odd fans at the same arena a year prior.
The same venue - Stadium Australia - would go on to open the Sydney 2000 Olympics just two months later. These were the halcyon days of Australian sport.
This particular night witnessed a brutal rugby war between two brilliant sides at the top of their games, though a handful of errors is one reason some still deny the game was the greatest ever.
Filed Under: Sports
Latest on EntSun News
- High Throughput Industrial NAS Storage Server Solution For Real-Time Data processing, Recording and Streaming
- Deadly Night Out Starts Filming In September
- Mission Fat Hearts Movie Campaign Hopes to Inspire Ripples of Kindness That Turn Into Waves
- Virtual Play in Pre-Production on The Story Of First Civil Rights Martyrs Harry T. & Harriette Moore
- Barks in the Bottoms During These Dog Days of Summer in Kansas City's West Bottoms
- Snoop Dogg Teams Up With Bumpboxx Launching the first in the celebrity collection Flare8 " Doggy Style"
- DeRonja Real Estate Welcomes Greyson Sargent
- New book gives best Rx for Covid-19!
- Pearl A New Feature Film From Writer/Director Bobby Roth is Set For Digital Release August 11
- Exclusive Series Screening: Toni Thai Has Us Step Into The Girl's Room with "Potty Break"
- The two most experienced minds in IP Ethics merge
- Hail to the Deadites World Premiere at Fantasia International Film Festival
- AutoQuotes And UL Announce Strategic Partnership
- Top-Notch Liver transplant in Delhi with Senior Surgeon Dr. Shailendra Lalwani
- Fix My Practice Launches to Tackle Poor-Quality Health and Social Care Pandemic
- NACCE and Bridge for Billions Team Up to Offer "The Leap" to Community College Entrepreneurs Across the Nation
- New Podcast looking for original Beatlemaniacs who saw the Fab Four LIVE!
- Elbow Fixators Market Analysis By COVID-19 Impact 2020-2026
- Dr. Shailendra Lalwani Conducts High Successful Rates of Liver Transplantation in India
- Legacy Park Sports Launches GoDog GameStream To Live Stream Baseball and Softball Tournaments